Cheap-DomainThe biggest question facing any website owner is – should I go for a cheap domain? The genesis of this question lies in the fact that the owner wants to save a significant bundle on the domain cost. You may think that there may be a uniform point of view on this matter and yes, most people assume that such hosting services are bad and need to be avoided.

Surprisingly, there are two different schools of thought on this matter. Let us examine both these viewpoints to understand them better.

The first point of view belongs to those who are against the concept of a cheap domain. Their opposition is fuelled by the below points.

  1. A stripping down of services

For a provider to reduce the cost of the domain, they have to eliminate all the perks offered by other services. So in the end, the services offered are the most basic of domain services. The idea behind this move is that if anyone wants a domain for a lower amount, they should not expect the “toppings”.

  1. Lowest levels of security

Continuing with the stripping down theme, companies offering such services employ basic security measures on their servers. These measures are just enough to keep the data secured. However, the offset is that they may be extremely vulnerable to sophisticated malware.

  1. The lowest levels of bandwidth and space

The servers employed by a cheap service provider do not have a huge amount of space or bandwidth to distribute. Hence, the amount of distribution among clients is on the lower end and in most cases just enough to keep the site running. However, any upgrade on the site will reduce its loading speed.

  1. No idea who my “neighbors” are

Keeping in mind the stripped down version being offered, website designers may design a basic website. However, if there is a situation where 90% of the websites are basic and the remaining 10% are well designed websites, then the ratings of the 10% will suffer because of the 90%.

So what is the flip side of the coin? Let us understand the point of view of those who actually opt for these services.

  1. Huge savings in cost

For a startup, the concept of a cheap domain is extremely attractive. The biggest issue for a start-up is the fact that it has very low capitals to invest in the business. The capital has to be distributed for a domain registration, hosting, designing and SEO. If the domain registration takes up less than 10%, that leaves more money for hosting, designing the website and hiring an SEO manager.

  1. A platform to build their brand

The domain owner needs a platform to build his or her brand. Even if this means starting with a basic but well designed website or blog, they will still grab that chance. However, if they end up spending 90% of their budget, that leaves them very little room for marketing.

  1. Renewal or non-renewal options are still cheaper

Even after one year, if the domain owner wants to continue with the cheap domain provider, the amount paid for renewal will be less than with the normal registration services. However, if they have earned a substantial income, they can considering moving their domain to a reputed service and still save money as they will be paying less for the first year.

Ted Garza is a professional teacher. He has worked at kindergartens in USA and abroad for most of his professional life. In his free time he likes to write texts and articles on the topics of technology and also its implementation in everyday life for different websites (for example for the Danish “UnoEuro billigt domane” campaign). He is always excited to share and comment his views on modernity with other people interested in such discussions.